ANTIQUEBUTTONTALK Home





SUPPORT AND VISIT OUR SPONSORS









Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
ANTIQUEBUTTONTALK > ID THIS BUTTON > ID THIS BUTTON > British military?

 Moderated by: TOM, ROB
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
British military?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 26th, 2017 03:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Henchman
NEWBIES
 

Joined: Mon Sep 25th, 2017
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
I dug what I think is a button, in the area of an old military trail. It is made of a very soft metal, has what I'm told may be a British military coat of Arms, and no markings on the back.It has a hole through the middle, but I found another button at this site with the same type of hole, made from the same type of metal. Anyone know if it is military, or even a button? If it is what time period would it be from?

Attachment: IMG_20170924_220650517.jpg (Downloaded 41 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Sep 27th, 2017 01:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
ROB
Admins
 

Joined: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 173
Status: 
Offline
How big is it? What do you mean when you say it's soft? Is it malleable? What does the other side look like?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Sep 27th, 2017 02:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Henchman
NEWBIES
 

Joined: Mon Sep 25th, 2017
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
ROB wrote: How big is it? What do you mean when you say it's soft? Is it malleable? What does the other side look like?
Rob, it's 1and 3/8 inches across, and yes it's malleable. The back is plain.When I found it, it was folded over, and I easily straightened out.It's definitely a British coat of arms, but the ones I have seen have banners under the lion and unicorn, but this one also has a banner along the bottom.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Sep 27th, 2017 10:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ROB
Admins
 

Joined: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 173
Status: 
Offline
Strange relic for sure. If it is malleable, chances are it isn't a button, although I am at a loss for another ID, unless it is a solder fill from some accoutrement.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Sep 28th, 2017 11:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
ROB
Admins
 

Joined: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 173
Status: 
Offline
I took the liberty of posting your item and description on a British metal detecting forum,to see if they could help ID it for you.  Here are the replies so far:
  1. Post by Bibbsy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:44 pm your description makes the item sound like its made of lead,the design is very similar to the general service button,seen here http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/for-sale/collectible-military-buttons/victorian-white-metal-general-service-pattern-button.html Cant say ive ever seen one in lead though,hope someone else can help out more 
  2. Post by Spencer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:22 pmDieu ete mon droit I think that's how it's spelt ,should be the inscription on it but what it is i'm unsure--
  3. Post by glennsniper » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:31 pm Undoubtedly British General Service arms as Bibbsy says.The construction reminds me of some 'Bridle Bosses' I have seen and some of these were made from lead alloys in the 18th / 19th Century.I suppose it could be a mount of some type with a central fixing point but I have no idea what it may have been mounted to.The design of the Crown at he top , which changes for different Monarchs / Periods of history, is normally a good indicator of the date range on these arms but I cannot see the Crown on your item clearly enough to be certain what period your item dates to.Nice find from an unusual find place.-

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 28th, 2017 01:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
TOM
Admins
 

Joined: Fri Sep 1st, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 71
Status: 
Offline
Good resource Rob and great hunting for the answer

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Sep 28th, 2017 07:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Henchman
NEWBIES
 

Joined: Mon Sep 25th, 2017
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
ROB wrote: I took the liberty of posting your item and description on a British metal detecting forum,to see if they could help ID it for you.  Here are the replies so far:
  1. Post by Bibbsy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:44 pm your description makes the item sound like its made of lead,the design is very similar to the general service button,seen here http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/for-sale/collectible-military-buttons/victorian-white-metal-general-service-pattern-button.html Cant say ive ever seen one in lead though,hope someone else can help out more 
  2. Post by Spencer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:22 pmDieu ete mon droit I think that's how it's spelt ,should be the inscription on it but what it is i'm unsure--
  3. Post by glennsniper » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:31 pm Undoubtedly British General Service arms as Bibbsy says.The construction reminds me of some 'Bridle Bosses' I have seen and some of these were made from lead alloys in the 18th / 19th Century.I suppose it could be a mount of some type with a central fixing point but I have no idea what it may have been mounted to.The design of the Crown at he top , which changes for different Monarchs / Periods of history, is normally a good indicator of the date range on these arms but I cannot see the Crown on your item clearly enough to be certain what period your item dates to.Nice find from an unusual find place.-

Rob, thanks for doing that. I wasn't sure that it was a button, and it makes sense that it could be a bridle boss, as it looks like it was attached to something in the center. I do think it is made of lead. If I can get a better picture of the crown, would it be possible to post it?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 28th, 2017 09:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
ROB
Admins
 

Joined: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 173
Status: 
Offline
Henchman wrote: ROB wrote: I took the liberty of posting your item and description on a British metal detecting forum,to see if they could help ID it for you.  Here are the replies so far:
  1. Post by Bibbsy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:44 pm your description makes the item sound like its made of lead,the design is very similar to the general service button,seen here http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/for-sale/collectible-military-buttons/victorian-white-metal-general-service-pattern-button.html Cant say ive ever seen one in lead though,hope someone else can help out more 
  2. Post by Spencer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:22 pmDieu ete mon droit I think that's how it's spelt ,should be the inscription on it but what it is i'm unsure--
  3. Post by glennsniper » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:31 pm Undoubtedly British General Service arms as Bibbsy says.The construction reminds me of some 'Bridle Bosses' I have seen and some of these were made from lead alloys in the 18th / 19th Century.I suppose it could be a mount of some type with a central fixing point but I have no idea what it may have been mounted to.The design of the Crown at he top , which changes for different Monarchs / Periods of history, is normally a good indicator of the date range on these arms but I cannot see the Crown on your item clearly enough to be certain what period your item dates to.Nice find from an unusual find place.-

Rob, thanks for doing that. I wasn't sure that it was a button, and it makes sense that it could be a bridle boss, as it looks like it was attached to something in the center. I do think it is made of lead. If I can get a better picture of the crown, would it be possible to post it?


Be happy to post it.  This one has my curiosity!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Sep 28th, 2017 10:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
dand
SILVER MEMBER
 

Joined: Sun Sep 3rd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 119
Status: 
Offline
It is a very curious item...some interesting info on it so far though....

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2017 09:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Button Back Bill
SILVER MEMBER
 

Joined: Thu Sep 7th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 43
Status: 
Offline
That's an interesting item indeed. I hope you can eventually get a definnative identification.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2017 10:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Henchman
NEWBIES
 

Joined: Mon Sep 25th, 2017
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
Button Back Bill wrote: That's an interesting item indeed. I hope you can eventually get a definnative identification.
I'm going to take it to a local military museum this week, and will post if I find out more. I know they have items back to the War of 1812, so I'm hoping they may be able to help.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2017 12:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
dand
SILVER MEMBER
 

Joined: Sun Sep 3rd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 119
Status: 
Offline
Be sure to let us know what you find out....Good Luck..!!!!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2017 10:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
ROB
Admins
 

Joined: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 173
Status: 
Offline
Henchman wrote: Button Back Bill wrote: That's an interesting item indeed. I hope you can eventually get a definnative identification.
I'm going to take it to a local military museum this week, and will post if I find out more. I know they have items back to the War of 1812, so I'm hoping they may be able to help.
I hope they can help ID it. I would love to know what it really is.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Oct 7th, 2017 05:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Henchman
NEWBIES
 

Joined: Mon Sep 25th, 2017
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
I finally met up with a gentleman from the military museum, and he identified this as a British bridle boss. He was also kind enough to talk with me about his collections, give me a history of the area I'm detecting, and point out a few new places to look at.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Oct 7th, 2017 08:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
kingskid1611
SILVER MEMBER
 

Joined: Sun Sep 3rd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 100
Status: 
Offline
Henchman wrote: I finally met up with a gentleman from the military museum, and he identified this as a British bridle boss. He was also kind enough to talk with me about his collections, give me a history of the area I'm detecting, and point out a few new places to look at.Now you can't buy that kind of information.  Congrats on some new spots to spot out, may be more buttons out there.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Oct 7th, 2017 09:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
dand
SILVER MEMBER
 

Joined: Sun Sep 3rd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 119
Status: 
Offline
That was a good move to meet up with that fellow....nice find and a great ID to go along with it....

Let us know how you do on the "New Spots"......Good Luck..!!!!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Oct 8th, 2017 12:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
ROB
Admins
 

Joined: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 173
Status: 
Offline
Henchman wrote: I finally met up with a gentleman from the military museum, and he identified this as a British bridle boss. He was also kind enough to talk with me about his collections, give me a history of the area I'm detecting, and point out a few new places to look at.Glad you were able to identify it .. That's a unique find for sure!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 05:36 am  
ANTIQUEBUTTONTALK > ID THIS BUTTON > ID THIS BUTTON > British military? Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2017 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1509 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 35 queries executed.